Instagram Reels are now a staple in every brand and business’s social media strategy. With social media pivoting to a video-focused approach, it’s more important than ever to ensure short-form video (like Reels) are a part of your content marketing mix.
But simply hitting publish on Reels isn’t the way to go. Instead, you need to know how your Instagram Reels are performing and what video styles resonate with your followers.
Insights and Analytics are a great way to analyze the performance of your videos and understand how your audience is responding to them.
Since Instagram has made it pretty clear they are sticking with video content (despite Kylie Jenner complaining), now is the perfect time to up your social media game by having everything you need to know about Instagram account insights in your toolbox.
Whether you’re a social media manager, content creator, small business, or influencer having a good content strategy is essential to achieving growth on the platform.
So, we’ve rounded up all the must-know information on all things Instagram Reels analytics, how to use them, what they tell you about your videos, and some best practices to boost engagement.
- 1 What are Instagram Reels?
- 2 What are Instagram Reels insights?
- 3 Benefits of using Instagram Reels insights
- 4 How to view your Reels insights
- 5 Tips for boosting your engagement using Instagram Reels
What are Instagram Reels?
Instagram Reels are short-form video content that can be up to 90 seconds long. These videos are highly edited and shot in vertical dimensions for an immersive, full-screen viewing experience.
Instagram made the move to prioritize video content in 2020, essentially to rival its competitor TikTok which has seen mass success and popularity, particularly amongst Gen Z.
Since the introduction of Reels, 1.2 billion people now interact with Reels every single month and Reels get 22% more interactions than your standard video posts, so they’re pretty important for social media marketing.
As Instagram continues to pivot and evolve, it’s clear that the platform is shifting toward a Reels-first algorithm. Not only have Reels earned their own tab within the Instagram app, but the platform has been testing a new full-screen feed experience that has been built with Reels content in mind.
Why should businesses be using Instagram Reels?
Ultimately, Reels are a must for any brand or business using social media in 2022. These videos offer stacks of powerful benefits to anyone using Instagram for business, including:
- Boost your reach: Reels are one of the top-performing content formats on Instagram. These short-form videos are most likely to be shown in the Instagram Discover feed, giving your brand tonnes of scope to boost your reach on the platform.
- Win the Instagram algorithm: with Reels the default video format on Instagram, your brand needs to jump on the bandwagon and find on-brand ways to craft engaging Reels content. This is the most powerful step you can take to increase your chances of being shown in the Instagram algorithm.
- Increase your engagement: not only are Reels great at boosting reach, but they can skyrocket your engagement, too. By using clickable stickers, trending audio and popular Reels templates, you can easily produce dynamic video content that will hold the attention of your audience.
- Skyrocket your account’s discoverability: As we mentioned, Reels are the top content format for reach on the platform. The more people that see your content, the more likely your video are to appear in the Reels or Discover tabs, thereby boosting your discoverability, too.
- Inspire users to take action: plus with a strong call-to-action in your videos and captions, you can easily use Reels to drive meaningful results for your business (from boosting web traffic to increasing sales).
What are Instagram Reels insights?
Since Instagram has been pushing video content on the platform for quite some time now, in an effort to compete with TikTok, it’s only right creators and small businesses have everything they need to understand their engagement metrics.
In 2021, Instagram rolled out its Instagram Reels Analytics and Live Video insights in an effort to help content creators and small businesses understand their Reels performance better and achieve greater growth on the platform.
These insights give you stacks of data on how your content is performing as well as what you can do to improve your results moving forward. It’s another clear sign that Instagram is investing heavily in the Reels format, and that it’s not going anywhere anytime soon.
What Reels metrics should you be tracking?
The performance of your Instagram Reels is based on a stack of different factors.
Instagram allows you to measure how well your Reel performed based on engagement as well as views – meaning you will be able to understand how engaged your audience actually is by measuring metrics such as comments, saves, and shares.
So, what stats can you track when sharing Instagram Reels? Instagram shows you key metrics including:
- Plays: the number of times your Reel was played.
- Accounts reached: how many Instagram users viewed your Reel at least once.
- Likes: how many Instagram users liked your Reel.
- Comments: the number of comments your individual Reel received.
- Saves: how many users saved your Reel video.
- Shares: how many Instagram users shared your Reel with other people.
These metrics and new insights allow you to see now just how many users are viewing your Reels, but also how many users are taking high-value actions such as saving or sharing your content.
Benefits of using Instagram Reels insights
We used to know Instagram as just a photo-sharing app, where we posted a picture of our weekend, travel adventures, and brunch spread with our friends and family. But, Instagram has certainly evolved from just sharing pictures to something much more.
Instagram’s decision to prioritize video content through Instagram Reels is a bit of a controversial one but nonetheless, it looks like it’s here to stay.
Here are some of the ways Reels insights can help content creators and small businesses achieve growth on the platform:
- Understanding what your audience likes and dislikes with hard stats to back up what is and isn’t working in your content marketing strategy.
- Learn what times and days you should post your Reels for better engagement and interaction.
- Find out what content formats your audience is interested in, helping you to pivot and evolve your social media strategy to resonate with your audience.
- Gain insights into what lengths your Reels should be to maximize audience viewing and engagement.
Basically, using Instagram Reels insights allows you to make data-driven decisions about your social media strategy to drive real results for your business from Instagram.
How to view your Reels insights
Ready to dive into your Instagram Reels insights?
There are two ways you can view your Reels insights and analytics: one for a specific Reel and a separate tab for an overview of your recent Reels content. It’s important to note you must have a business account to view your Instagram Reels insights, which is pretty easy to set up.
Accessing Reels insights on an individual Reel
To view how well an individual Reel is performing you need to:
- Head to the Reels tab and select the Reel you want to view
- Tap the three dots on the bottom right-hand corner
- Select ‘view insights’
- Here, you’ll be able to see your plays, accounts reached, likes, comments, saves, and shares
How to see an overview of your Instagram Reels insights
- Head to your profile page and select the Insights button
- Here you’ll see an insights overview of all your different Reels insights (and other content) as well as your accounts reached, accounts engaged, and your total followers
- You can choose to view your Reels content over the course of 7, 14, and 30 days, as well as previous months and a 90-day overview
Tips for boosting your engagement using Instagram Reels
So, we’ve covered what Instagram Insights are and how to use them. Instagram is rewarding creators who are posting Reels, so now’s a good time to get creative and start pumping out those Reels videos.
Here are some of our best practices and tips for boosting engagement using Reels.
Tip 1. Utilize trending formats
Just like TikTok, Instagram has its own Reels trends (but they usually come from TikTok a couple of weeks later) which helps your visibility on the explore page.
Plus, with Instagram Reels templates you can easily replicate the exact format and structure of the most popular Reels. This not only streamlines your content creation process, but it ensures you’re producing engaging content every single time.
Tip 2. Harness Trending audio tracks
This is a great way to boost engagement and enhance your chances of growing through the Instagram explore page.
To find trending audio on Instagram, all you have to do is scroll and browse videos on the Reels tab. If a piece of audio has a little arrow next to it, you’ve found you’re next Reels sound! Tip: save all the trending audios you find to make them easier to use when you have the time.
Instagram Reels are a little different from TikTok, where sound plays a central point. Although sound still plays a role in Reels, there does seem to be a preference for watching Reels on mute – a similar trend found on Facebook with 85% of users watching videos on mute.
To boost your engagement and appeal to users who prefer watching Reels on mute, include those on-screen captions! It’s also way more inclusive of anyone with hearing impairments so they can still consume and enjoy your content.
To add captions to your Reels videos, click the sticker button in the top corner after you’ve recorded your video and click ‘Captions.’
Over 200 million Instagram users visit the Instagram explore page daily to find new content, creator accounts, products, and businesses that alight with their interests.
If you’re looking to boost your engagement and growth on Instagram, taking advantage of relevant hashtags can do just that.
There’s no right way to use hashtags and no set rules on how many you should include in your Reels videos, however, interactions seem to increase when users include 11 hashtags in their posts.
Tip 5. Post consistently
Posting Reels consistently will help boost your reach and engagement rates. Posting between 4-7 Reels a week is a good rule of thumb to follow, but make sure to find a suitable cadence that you can follow for weeks and months to come.
And that’s a wrap! When it comes to nailing Instagram Reels, leveraging Insights and Analytics will help you power up your marketing strategy. By regularly checking your Insights and pivoting your approach, you’ll be able to develop an Instagram Reels strategy that drives strong results for your brand.
We know it can get a little bit hectic and overwhelming to always remember to film a Reel and post it. To save you time and energy, try batch-making your content on one or two days out of the week and use Sked Social to schedule your posts. We’re here to make life a little easier with our 7-day free trial.