Instagram is the hub for all things social. The platform has evolved from a photo-sharing app to a thriving and diverse tech platform, packed with instant messaging, eCommerce, social advertising and everything in between. With just a few taps, Instagram allows users to connect with others across the globe and share their favorite forms of content.
Instagram is full of cool features and nifty tools for personal and business users. A feature that was launched in 2016 was the ability to post an Instagram Story, which is an ephemeral photo or video post lasting for just 24 hours.
This feature gives users the opportunity to share in-the-moment moments that don’t quite make it onto the grid. An Instagram Story will sit on the user’s profile and appears at the top of the home page in a separate feed within the Instagram app.
A story can feature stickers, GIFs, locations, images and videos, but the creativity doesn’t stop there. You can also share other people’s stories straight onto your profile and even your own feed posts to your Instagram Story, making this content format an excellent way to connect with others and share the love.
Did you know that roughly 86.6% of Instagram’s users post stories every day, and 25% of Gen Z and Millennials use stories to find products and services? If you aren’t already, now is the time to be reposting content to Stories (and we are here to show you how).
What are the benefits of posting an Instagram Story?
Instagram has become a fantastic place for businesses to thrive and boost brand awareness. With so many new features constantly being released, you have endless opportunities to reach new audiences, showcase your products and services and spark two-way conversations with your audience.
And Instagram stories should be a primary part of your social media strategy. In fact, Instagram has pointed out that stories published by brands and businesses get more views than stories from regular profiles.
Still, wondering why you should be using Instagram Stories? Let’s run you through five of the core benefits:
- Improved brand visibility – With Instagram stories, you have another timely touchpoint with your followers on social media, giving you a better chance of building brand awareness and trust with potential customers.
- Generate leads and sales – Instagram stories puts your content and products right before your customers. Where they can swipe to a website, click on products and interact with your brand, making it easier than ever to generate leads and sales.
- Connect with your audience – Instagram Stories give your audience a chance to reply directly with a message, meaning you can answer their burning questions or brand queries straight away. Plus, going live on Instagram Stories also helps you break down the barrier between you and our audience.
- Instant feedback on new products or services – If you’ve featured new product launches, teased upcoming promotions or hinted at new service updates on Instagram Stories, your audience can provide instant feedback by replying and reacting. A great way for you to understand your customer pain points and ways to solve them!
- Stay front of mind with your audience – Instagram Stories provide information in real-time, so you’re able to share more authentic, candid content. This helps you keep your audience updated with updates in your business.
But with Instagram’s forever evolving features and algorithm, how do you use Instagram Stories?
In this guide, we’ll be deep-diving into all things Instagram stories, giving you all of the hot tips, tricks and insider information to maximize Instagram Stories.
How to post directly onto your Instagram Story
So, you’ve decided to dive into the world of Instagram stories, share your creative flair and show the world what you’re made of! Heck yes.
Now it’s time to learn how to share directly to your story. With the latest Instagram updates, it’s easier than ever to share content to Instagram Stories. Simply open the app and swipe left on the home page, and this should bring up your Instagram camera.
Now you can flip the screen for the front or back camera, depending on the story you’d like to shoot, add a filter, and finish it off with a sticker or text overlay.
After you’ve got the perfect story ready to go, all you have to do is click the white arrow in the right-hand corner to share this post to your story. Ta-Da! You’ve uploaded your first story. Well done!
Psst… don’t forget about these top insider tips:
- You can upload a story directly from your camera roll as well! Just click the little image in the left-hand corner to select an image or video.
- You can share a story with a curated close-friends list as well. This means that any content you don’t want to share with the world can go to a specific list of people you’ve chosen! Nifty.
How to share a story you’ve been tagged in
If you have been using Instagram for a while, you’ve probably noticed a message popping up in your inbox saying, “XXX has mentioned you in their story.”
This means that someone has tagged your profile in their latest story. Cool! You can now share their story directly with your followers. But how?
It’s a great feeling being tagged in a story and is a powerful opportunity for your brand to boost your reach and get in front of new audiences.
When you receive a message in your inbox notifying you that someone has mentioned you in their story, open the message on Instagram. You’ll see a big blue button saying ‘Add to Your Story’ click this button. It will load onto your story, ready for you to add text, stickers, or anything you’d like and then click share! And once it’s uploaded, you’ve reshared a story.
How to share a story you’re not tagged in
There comes a time when you don’t get tagged, missing out on the big blue share button. But fret not! With these two handy tricks, you can still share someone else’s content to your own Instagram Story.
Here are three ways to report an Instagram Story that you haven’t been tagged in:
- You can screenshot the story you want to share (the upload onto your story, tagging the original account who posted the story) or,
- You can use the screen recording feature on your phone to record an Instagram Story video and then post it directly to your own Story feed.
Here’s a quick guide to using the screen recording feature to reshare a Story you’re not tagged in:
- Make sure that you have screen recording enabled on your phone. You can find this in the control centre on iPhone. This feature allows you to screen record whatever content is on the screen!
- Once this feature has been enabled, you should see a red recording button appear in the top left corner of your screen. Can you see it? Awesome. If not, hop back into your settings and make sure that it’s added to your home page.
- Open Instagram and click on the story you wish to share. You can pause the story and hide the username and message button by lightly holding onto the screen with one finger.
- You can record the story directly from Instagram, and when you’re ready to the repost Instagram story, you can upload it onto your account.
You can also screen record from the home page if you have an Android device. The screen recording app is located in the notification panel. Swipe this panel downwards to bring up the “Quick Settings” menu.
You can click screen record and follow the same steps as above!
Make sure to DM (direct message) the original creator to ask permission to reshare their content and credit them for their content.
How to share an Instagram post to your story
Sharing other creators’ Instagram posts is a great way to promote amazing content that you want to share with your community. And you can do this easily straight from your home feed!
You can do this by hopping into the Instagram app on your iOS or Android device and scrolling to the feed post you want to share. You’ll see a little aeroplane icon underneath a post next to the comment button.
Click on this icon, and you should see ‘Add Post to Your Story’. It will load into the editing mode of your Instagram story, and all you need to do is click share!
Now you’ve shared someone else’s post! They’ll get a notification that you’ve shared their feed post and hopefully share the love.
You can also do this for your own feed posts by following the same steps! Add different stickers and gifs, resize the image and add a location or hashtags to increase the reach of your posts. Add your new posts to your story to keep your audience informed whenever a new post goes live.
How to share a Reel to your story
The variety of Instagram content has grown and changed over the past couple of years. It was just photos once upon a time, but now you can share videos, Reels and short vlogs on the platform.
An Instagram Reel is a short snippet of content creators can add to their Instagram account using trending sounds, fun transitions and eye-catching videos.
If you see a Reel that you’d love to share with your community, you can do this a couple of ways directly from the Instagram app.
You can share a Reel on the home page the same way you’d share a feed post. Click the aeroplane icon, edit to your liking and click share.
You can also share an Instagram Reel from the Reel feed page. You’ll see five icons at the bottom of the home page – a home icon, search button, video icon, shopping and profile icon. You want to click on the video icon, which will bring up Reels.
Once you’re in this part of Instagram, you’ll see the aeroplane icon on the right-hand side. Click on this icon and just follow the same steps as above.
You now know how to share different types of Instagram content with your story. But let’s not stop there! Let’s look at some different content ideas you can use to spice up your Instagram story and get that engagement, baby.
9 content ideas to use on Instagram Stories
There are endless ways to use Instagram stories, and your creativity knows no bounds! Here are just a few ways to promote your business, build a community, increase engagement and win at the Instagram game for free!
- Promote a product – Use product stickers to take your audience through to a purchase page. You can add different images, fonts, and even music to announce a new product launch.
- Promote a blog post – You can add links directly to your Instagram story. Paste the link, edit accordingly and share away.
- Post Polls and Quizzes – By engaging your audience to participate in a poll or quiz, you’re reaffirming your brand in their minds! It keeps your account active and fun.
- Post a day in the life – You may or may not want to share a lot about your personal life (if you’re a business owner), but it definitely helps build brand loyalty. You can share photos or videos of your day, add a location tag and post straight to your story.
- Share a quote – Posting quotes is quick, easy and shareable! If you’ve got a favorite, just copy and paste it to your story, add a fun sticker and click share.
- Use a countdown – Do you have something exciting coming up? Let your audience know by posting a countdown. It builds anticipation, and your audience loves having things to look forward to.
- Share your skills or a tutorial – You can showcase your handy skills on Instagram stories, live or even through reels and IGTV. Save your stories so that your audience can watch them later.
- Share a series – If you’ve got a content idea you’d like to stretch out over time, starting a series of stories is a great way to build engagement! You can create bite-sized content pieces with recognizable colours, wording, or images so that your audience gets excited when you post a new story.
- Go live – Instagram also has a ‘Go Live’ feature, which means that users can share a live, in-the-moment video where their audience can ask questions and get to know the page a little more.
With so much great content on Instagram Stories, why let these posts disappear after just 24 hours? You can save past stories to your Instagram Stories highlights and feature them permanently on your profile (they can be customized to answer those burning questions from customers, such as services, testimonials, BTS, case studies etc.)
Social media marketing is an amazing tool for all businesses and creators, no matter what industry you’re in. There are endless possibilities for fun content ideas, a million different ways to share your passions and what’s even better? It can all be done at your fingertips!
Sharing posts, uplifting others, posting original content and generally being a boss means that you get to enjoy the crazy rollercoaster of learning how to use social media platforms.
Now you have the know-how to repost on Instagram stories, it’s time to make some eye-catching content!
Sked Social is the #1 Instagram-first social media scheduler. Streamline your social media strategy and plan a visually beautiful Instagram feed direct from the app! Try our 7-day free trial to get the most out of your Instagram marketing strategy.